Navratri is a nine days festival of Goddess Durga. With Navratri starting ,many people begin fasting. Fasting purifies and detoxifies the body, improves digestive system, controls blood sugar levels and , aids weight loss. Fasting allows a rest to the digestive organs, and the same energy goes into regeneration. By eliminating obstructions, by cleansing, detoxification, and purifying the body,the blood, and the cells, we can overcome many of our physical illness as well as get a boost in energy.
Benefits of Navratri Fasting
1.Lower Blood Pressure: Fasting is associated with lowering blood pressure. Intermittent fasting allows the body to move out of its normal pace and start on a more relaxed path. The Navratri Diet is ideal to reduce blood pressure.
2.Increases Immunity: As the body goes into fasting mode, it starts to recycle at the cellular level by getting rid of damaged immune cells and regenerating new ones.
3.Rejuvenates the Mind: As the body starts to heal, the mind becomes more steady and removes itself from cravings. A stable mind increases its potential to learn new things and embrace spirituality.
4.Removes Toxins: During fasting, the body starts to use up the stored glucose and fats for energy thereby eliminating toxins from the body. The fibre content of the Navratri diet further helps in digestion and purging of unwanted chemicals from our bodies.
5.Getting Rid of Sodium: Our meals are rigged with salt from french fries to pickles.We have given ourselves up to salty excesses.The Navratri fast puts a stop to salt for the stipulated days and this helps to rid the body of the extra sodium.
Diet Tips for the Navratri
1.Keep The Navratri Diet Simple: The key to a happy Navratri is to keep the diet simple. Avoid unhealthy Navratri snacks and opt for samak rice, sabudana mix and kuttu rotis instead. The simpler your Navratri diet is, the better you will feel.
2. Drink Plenty of Water: Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of plain water during the day. The water will give you a filled feeling apart from aiding in digestion and ridding your body of the toxins. You can have coconut water, lemon water, green tea or buttermilk.
3. Eat Fruits: Go for fruits when you feel the craving for foods such as sweets.Fruits have natural sugars that are easier to absorb when you are on a fast.
4. Avoid Fried Food: The Navratris come with a huge array of delicacies so please avoid fried food if you are on a fast as it will disrupt your digestion for the coming days.
Navratri Fasting Tips For Diabetics
1. Have slow absorbing foods like some vegetables and fruits which are rich in fibre before one begins fasting. It helps to keep one full and maintain the blood glucose level.
2. Diabetic should keep munching in small quantity of food like vegetables or fruits every few hours.This helps in maintaining the blood glucose levels.
3. Avoid tea and coffee as it leads to dehydration.
4. Diabetics should choose low sugar and low fat snacks for breakfast.
5. Coconut water is one of the best sugar free beverages which is good for diabetics and it also hydrates the body along with providing micro nutrients. It is rich in antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, calcium, iron and loads of other nutrients which help in providing the body with the needed energy.